Monday, November 30, 2009

Talkers and Teaching Respect

11/30/2009

I remember now 30 years ago saying I would never again teach 8th graders. Jeff took over my 8th grade math classes after that.

Today, when I began afternoons at the jr hi, it got crazy in one class. Mostly 7th graders, but an 8th grade regular ed girl would not be quiet. Non-stop. Talking right in my face while I was talking to her. I removed her to a room next door with no students. Mike Feil was in charge.

Remember him from NCCS? He has that wonderful smile. He is an Educational Assistant at the jr hi, and puts up with nothing. He said the talker complained the entire time she was in the room.

Some kids have disabilities that affect their behavior. Others just misbehave. I got all 15 of them during period 6. I began to wonder what period 7 would be like, but they were angels. Comparatively speaking, of course.

I am going to use my time at home to make THE seating chart. I don't even know their names, but the alphabet always works at least one day.

The first few words I heard about themselves were "retard" "stupid" "dumb". Then there was "shut-up" "I hate you", etc. Not to me. Just to each other. Now to teach the good words and behavior. Maybe I'll assign each student write one positive rule tomorrow that they think of.

Their insecurities are spilling out everywhere.

Do I try to talk louder than God?

1 comment:

  1. It breaks my heart that those kids refer to themselves as retard, stupid, and dumb. It's what they hear, but they're accepting it as true.

    What IS true is that they are made in God's image and that makes them worthy, awesome, and full of potential!

    ReplyDelete