Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Two house fires.

11/18/2009

A real downer is having two students lose their houses to separate fires. They both have lost everything.

The first one happened a few weeks ago. He has grandparents to live with, and the love has really been shown by the community to them.

The second happened this past weekend. I talked with him today and he is living with friends, while the parents are on the property to keep looters away.

He said the school provided him with a travel toothbrush--so I asked him if a Mickey Mouse or Spongebob tooth brush is ok. He said yes, then I said, how about Winnie the Pooh? Nope. hee hee He laughed.

It's hard to think about losing everything. He now has deodorant and shampoo. A family with two boys will provide some clothes. As people find out, more generosity.

My husband has lost everything. He walked away from the Khmer Rouge with only his memories , and the clothes on his back. His mom carried a few photos, but not many.

His mom is going to move from Sandy to Carver soon. She tended to throw away everything in the past when she moved. We try to save photos and important legal papers. But she understands that where we live on earth is so temporal. Her real home is where she needs nothing from earth. And where the loves of her life are.

My husband tries to get me to get rid of stuff in the basement that I haven't even looked at in years. I do, bit by bit.

I am thankful for a home, memories, photos, and my loved ones. Neither of those boys lost family or pets--just stuff. They have been really brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment