Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Week before Christmas Break

12/13/2009

This week will be louder than any other time when teaching school. In the past years, I have scheduled carpal tunnel surgery, trips to Cambodia, and anything else that can legally get me out of teaching this week. If I can call it teaching.

First, I DO love the kids I teach. It is so natural for the excitement of two weeks off, probably with gifts and extra sweets, to affect any of us. Plenty of sleep is so important for staying patient with the students, but who can sleep? Last year, we missed this week in the district I'm in because of snow and ice. Remember?

Last Friday, I brought home the poinsettia from my desk, just in case. It was a gift from a retired teacher-friend. So far it looks like we having school tomorrow. The ice and snow storms just didn't happen.

Students are highly stressed anticipating this week. We all are. One student told me his mom is divorcing his step-dad--he is quick to add he didn't like him anyway. Another large group will not have their free breakfasts and lunches for two weeks. And probably no heat. And no doubt, some will get no gift(s). After the Christmas break, I must remember to not ask about 'what they got for Christmas'. Nor write an essay about their break. Maybe they will write in their private journals that most English classes require. Anything, to help get that pain out.

I have always prayed for students as they tell me about difficult things they face at home. The ones that don't tell me, but I still know, I also pray for them.

What can I recommend to people in this stressfull time? If there is something on your heart that is unbearable, find a friend who listens and says little, unless it is to give words of hope. Words of hope take our focus off the unbearable to what is bearable. And it may take awhle--keep at it.

Next, go out for lunch with friends who laugh constantly. I like the verse/proverb: Proverbs 17:22 "A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones." I've had enough dry bones, how about you? I love to laugh! In this life, there is plenty to laugh about. I surround myself with friends who like to laugh--a lot!!

Maybe I can be the friend who loves to laugh with people and give medicine to someone's soul.

It is easy for stress to be internalized, and then to become depressed. I have found the Psalms to be a source of strength. King David and others wrote some of these in their times of depression and fear, and can point us out of these pits.

As Hanukkah is being celebrated this week to remember the Miracle of Oil and as a time of dedication, let's look forward to our Saviour's birthday (also my husband's) in less than two weeks. God gave His Son to anyone who receives the Gift. Our gift-giving is a great time to see how joyously kids young and old receive their gifts. Let's receive God's Gift to us in the same way.

Joy to the World!!

No comments:

Post a Comment