Friday, January 22, 2010

01-22-10

01-22-10

How can I resist? Another palindrome. As Aureol, my friend, said: "Palindromic symmetry!"

I taught 'palindromic symmetry' to one of the jr hi classes, and a girl said: "It's like 'race car'." She listened in her language arts class. The kids definitely knew 'palindrome.'

We played bingo today with the multiplication table. I drew the answer from a pile of numbers, and the kids found the multiplication problem on their cards. It worked well. We all ended up calling out all the possible problems, such as: 12 equals: 2 x 6, 6 x 2, 3 x 4, and 4 x 3.

We do a timed tests over the times table each Monday. They are arranged Eagle Creek Elementary style--thanks to Jan Jaquay. I use numerals 2 through 9, making 64 answers. It is all scrambled. I put the numerals vertically in a column, while the multiplier is one column over at the top. There are eight of these sets, and students get 3 minutes to write the answers below the multiplier next to the numerals. Usually the kids get half or less.

I have one boy who gets it perfect every time. He can now do it in 2 minutes and 25 seconds. Another boy is close behind. If anyone is interested in getting a copy to try, I have plenty. Each week I make up a new one.

I will always be thankful to Jan Jaquay for her high standards as principal. She is now retired, but as I taught math in the high school, and whenever students knew answers to a multiplication problem without a calculator, I asked if they went to Eagle Creek, the answer was nearly always yes!

How to teach basic skills is what I face every day. This is my job teaching the math lab class. That and the math standards for the state of Oregon. State tests are coming up this week, and kids get so nervous taking tests. I cheer them on!!


Haiti is still strongly keeping my interest. It hurts to see people hurting so badly!

May God meet their needs and keep the children and orphans safe and fed!

No comments:

Post a Comment