Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti's Children

1/15/2010

Yesterday was the anniversay of my mother's death in 1977. 33 years and I still miss her. I have outlived her age and her father's age. Her mother lived to 82, and on my father's side 80-90 years of age was normal. I do have a great-aunt on mom's side who lived to 95. She was known as Aunt Ollie, and I was referred to as little Aunt Ollie.

My father passed away February 14, 2005. Four short months after my father-in-law's death.

This week I think I started out having more compassion on my students. Then the Haiti earthquake struck 3 days ago.

The people of Haiti will always remember January 12, 2010. What a way to start a new year. That date will forever be etched upon their minds.

I know what post traumatic stress will do to the Haitians. Cambodians who lived through Pol Pot's regime experience it still. A very poor country hit by severe adversity. Parallels abound between the two countries and the people--expecially the children.

As you can tell, it is heavy on my mind. I suppose it is from feeling helpless and from realizing the enormity of the consequences. A wave of effect from the earthquake is spreading to nearby poor countries already. This is not going to go away.

Back to what I am able to do. I can pray. I can send encouraging notes. I can give. I wish I could go help, but there are more able people going.

Now to the kids in my classes. What will go through their minds as they see images on the news or internet or newspapers. Some are already very poor and even homeless--couch-surfing or sleeping in cars.

Math seems so unimportant right now. But today I was reminded it is a tool to become better educated and be ready for a better job. One girl refused to believe that and refused to learn. I had her go back to her class. The boy in the class could see the possibilities and he worked hard.

A half an hour later, a boy in the next room became very beligerent and agressive, and he was removed. I talked calmly with his buddy who remained, and he finally softened. I told him his hair looked good in that style, and he smiled. He listened. He took out a worksheet and began to work. He wants a diploma.

Kids in America need hope in their lives inside and outside of school. I want to do what I can to be their cheerleader and point them to all the possibilities. I would like to point them to God directly, but my life and love will suffice. It is God who gives me my life and love for people.

We have so much to sort through these days. Priorities. Core priorities.

On the news tonight, Haitian children at an orphanage were shown singing: 'Waves of mercy, waves of grace, every time I look I see your face." Diane Sawyer was really touched by their faith. I was touched by their faith--I look forward to seeing more orphanages in the news with children singing.

Mark 10:16 (New International Version)
And He took the children in His arms, put His hands on them and blessed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment